Tag: 上海哪家会所好

Wilmington Pediatrics Announces Addition Of Dr Gaya Nene

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington Pediatrics recently announced that Dr. Gaya Nene will be joining their practice in November.A Massachusetts native, Dr. Nene attended Tufts University and the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, then completed her residency at Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center.“We think Dr. Nene will be a great fit to our team and are excited to have you meet her,” the announcement read.Dr. Nene will be replacing Dr. John Maddox, who is leaving Wilmington Pediatrics after 18 years for Pentucket Medical Associates in Haverhill. Maddox lives in Haverhill and serves as an advisor to the school district.If patients would like to follow Dr. Maddox to Haverhill, they can contact Pentucket Medical Associates’s Registration Center at 857-282-7800. Dr. Maddox can be emailed questions at jmaddox@massmed.org.If patients would like to remain at Wilmington Pediatrics, they can be seen by Dr. Nene or any of the practice’s other pediatricians. Contact Officer Lia Benoit at 978-988-6203 or lbenoit@wilmingtonpedi.com with any questions.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedDr. John Maddox To Leave Wilmington Pediatrics This Fall After 18 YearsIn “Business”Wilmington’s Cumberland Farms Launches 8th Annual Cups For Kids FundraiserIn “Business”OBITUARY: Judith Elaine Sias Guertin, 76In “Obituaries”last_img read more

Cisco Systems to lay off 1100 employees as part of restructuring plan

first_imgA sign marking a Cisco office is pictured in San Diego, California, November 12, 2012.ReutersAfter surprising the industry and announcing 5,500 cuts jobs in August 2016, Cisco has dealt yet another shocker. The multinational company based in San José, California, announced on Wednesday, May 17, that it would lay off an additional 1,100 employees soon.Initial reports had suggested that the company would, in total, lay off about 14,000 employees, but Cisco later made an official announcement clarifying the numbers.CEO Chuck Robbins said that the reason behind such massive job cuts was a slowdown in the spending of the federal government, reported UPI. This move has also been called an extension of the company’s restructuring plan, which led to announcement of 5,500 sackings last year.Shares of Cisco fell 5.4 percent to $32 apiece late on Wednesday, after the firm announced the layoff plans.Additionally, the tech giant has also forecast a fall in its quarterly revenue, according to Fox Business. It now plans to focus on software and services instead of hardware, and Cisco has invested large amounts in cloud computing and artificial intelligence as part of the plan.”It took me several quarters to get the team to understand that we’re moving this way,” Robbins told Fox Business in an interview. He also explained how he plans to increase the revenue of the company through the software business. ReutersMeanwhile, Cisco employees aren’t the only ones that may be shown the doors soon. Automaker Ford too is likely to lay off about 10 percent of its global workforce to boost profits and its stock price.Though Ford hasn’t specifically clarified on the numbers, it did say it intended to concentrate on cost optimisation and higher efficiency.”We remain focused on the three strategic priorities that will create value and drive profitable growth, which include fortifying the profit pillars in our core business, transforming traditionally underperforming areas of our core business and investing aggressively, but prudently, in emerging opportunities,” Reuters quoted the Dearborn company as saying.”Reducing costs and becoming as lean and efficient as possible also remain part of that work. We have not announced any new people efficiency actions, nor do we comment on speculation.”The move comes at a time when there have been doubts surrounding CEO Mark Fields and his strategy. While the company has made profits in the past and remains a key player in the automobile industry, Ford stock has seen a decline of 17 percent since January to $10.94 per share.last_img read more

Flood rescue stepped up as more rain batters Indias Kerala

first_imgRescuers evacuate people from a flooded area to a safer place in Aluva in the southern state of Kerala, India, on 18 August 2018. ReutersRescuers in helicopters and boats fought through renewed torrential rain Saturday to reach stranded villages in India’s Kerala state as the toll from the worst monsoon floods in a century rose above 320 dead.Dozens of military and coastguard helicopters took troops to high risk areas seeking people trapped on the roofs of submerged buildings. Indian prime minister Narendra Modi described the crisis as “devastating” after visiting Kerala.Kerala chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan announced late Friday that the monsoon death toll had dramatically risen to 324.Media reports said at least another 14 bodies were found Saturday and state officials said they expected the number to rise as more landslides were reported and dam levels remained dangerously high. No new official toll was given however.With power and communication lines down, thousands remained trapped in towns and villages cut off by the floods amid growing shortages of food and water.Helicopters have been dropping emergency food and water supplies across Kerala, while special trains carrying drinking water and rice have been sent to the state.With rain alerts hanging over much of the state, dozens of dam and reservoir gates across the state have had to be opened as the waters reached danger levels, inundating many villages downstream.Particular fears have been raised for Chengannur, about 120 kilometers (75 miles) north of the state capital Thiruvananthapuram, which has been cut off for four days.Troops and military boats have been sent to the town and media reports said bodies had been found. The state government did not immediately give an updated toll early Saturday.An aerial view shows partially submerged houses at a flooded area in the southern state of Kerala, India, on 17 August 2018. Reuters- Helicopter plea -Saji Cherian, who represents Chengannur in the Kerala assembly, said he feared there were at least 50 dead in the town and broke down in tears as he pleaded for more help on Asianet TV late Friday.“Please give us a helicopter. I am begging you. Please help me, people in my place will die. Please help us. There is no other solution, people have to be airlifted,” he said.“We did what we can with fishing boats we procured using our political clout. But we can’t do more.”With no end in sight to the rains, people all over the state of 33 million have made panic-stricken appeals on social media for help, saying they cannot make contact with rescue services.Some say they are trapped inside temples and hospitals as well as submerged homes.Authorities have warned that rains and strong winds are predicted for many parts of Kerala on Saturday and Sunday.Prime minister Modi arrived in Kerala on Friday night and held meetings with state leaders and went on a brief air inspection tour.“I took stock of the situation arising in the wake of the devastating floods across the state,” Modi said in a Twitter statement.An Indian woman rescued by the Indian navy personnel rests with her grandchildren at the Naval relief camp in Kochi, in the Indian state of Kerala on 18 August 2018. AFPAn immediate grant of $75 million was offered by the government. Other state governments promised nearly $20 million.Opposition Congress party leader Rahul Gandhi demanded though that Modi declare the flood crisis a “national disaster”.Dozens of military helicopters stepped up rescue operations across the state and in one a heavily pregnant woman Sajita Jabeel, 25, gave birth just after her rescue, an Indian Navy spokesman said.“It was a very critical case, the lady was in labour, her water had broken,” the pilot, the pilot Commandeer Vijay Verma told News18 television.“We took a doctor along, we winched her up, it took some time though because we had to winch down two people to help her get on to the strop.”Another pilot, Captain P Rajkumar, winched 26 people up from a rooftop after guiding the helicopter through trees and other houses.A video of his Sea King pulling up the victims has been widely shared on social media. He ended up with 32 people in his Sea King helicopter.Rajkumar was given the Shaurya Chakra medal for bravery this week after lifting a fisherman from the sea when cyclone Ockhi hit India last year.last_img read more

Qunun escape sparks rare criticism of Saudi guardianship laws

first_imgFactfile on what we know so far about the 18-year-old Saudi woman Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun who was detained at Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok and is now being helped by UNHCR. Photo: AFPA Saudi teen’s live-tweeted asylum plea has cast a renewed spotlight on women’s rights just months after women won the right to drive, and sparked rare criticism of restrictive “guardianship” laws — from men.Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, arrived in Thailand at the weekend after fleeing what she called an abusive family in the deeply conservative kingdom and staved off deportation after her tweets drew global attention.Qunun’s impassioned cry for help set off a media frenzy, prompting angry denunciations and death threats from many in a kingdom where guardianship laws are still widely supported.But the incident sparked a rare online debate as several young Saudis — including men — implored authorities to dismantle the guardianship system.Seen as a form of gender apartheid, the system means Saudi women are often only as free as their male “guardians” — husband, father and other male relatives — allow them to be. The men in their lives have to give formal permission for the women to study, get married or even renew their passports.”Guardianship gives men the ultimate authority over women,” a young Saudi medical student named Bandar said in a video monologue posted on Twitter.”He can control her, slap her, beat her, do whatever he wants and no (government) agency can stop him.”This is causing women to dream about living elsewhere, away from where they were born and raised. Why? Because living here suffocates them.”As tweets by Qunun, now in the care of a UN refugee agency in Thailand, went viral, a new hashtag gained traction in Saudi Arabia: “Drop guardianship or all of us will migrate”.”Saudi society, in general, has utterly failed to come to terms with the reality that women have an equal desire for self actualisation,” tweeted another Saudi man, Ahmad Nasser al-Shathri.”The notion that a women’s innate desire is to be a homemaker is crippling our societal growth.”‘Repressive’ systemThe backlash follows a wide-ranging liberalisation drive spearheaded by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman that is aimed at transforming the conservative petro-state, long criticised for its treatment of women.His reforms include the much-celebrated decision overturning the world’s only ban on female motorists last June, allowing women to attend soccer games alongside men and take on jobs that once fell outside the narrow confines of traditional gender roles.Catalysed in large measure by what experts call economic pain owing to a drop in oil prices, the reforms have introduced a series of firsts in the Saudi labour market, where women have a miniscule presence.In recent months, Saudi media has championed the first woman restaurant chef, first woman news anchor and even the first woman racing driver.For the first time, women are seen alongside men in music concerts and social gatherings, amid the waning influence of the once-feared religious police, which strictly segregated the genders.But while transforming the lives of many women, this reform drive will be cosmetic for many others until the kingdom abolishes a system that gives men arbitrary authority over their female relatives, critics say.”The social reforms in Saudi Arabia are very much real and they will improve the everyday lives of women,” Bessma Momani, a professor at Canada’s University of Waterloo, told AFP.”But the guardianship system remains repressive and hinders women’s rights and mobility.”Lightning rodWomen’s empowerment is a potential social lightning rod in the deeply traditional society of Saudi Arabia.Officials close to the government say they are seeking to dismantle the system piecemeal to prevent any backlash from arch-conservatives.Meanwhile, horror stories regularly surface.Women inmates are often reported to be stuck in prisons after completing their terms because they were not claimed by their guardians.One Saudi woman told AFP how she was stuck in limbo, unable to even renew her passport, when her father, her only male guardian, slipped into a coma after an accident.Many Saudis condemned Qunun for what they described as dishonouring her family.But as she galvanised international support in a Twitter-led campaign, many others voiced solidarity — especially after the Saudi charge d’affaires in Bangkok was caught on tape telling Thai authorities they should have confiscated Qunun’s cellphone.”It is challenging for the crown prince to completely dismantle guardianship laws because of religious conservatives who have a vested political interest to remain relevant in a changing Saudi Arabia,” said Momani.”That said, social pressure from young people like Rahaf, who find the reforms glacially slow … may prove more of a political challenge than the religious conservatives.”last_img read more